Discovery lets kids create their own sense of cool
The DCP 16 is our original model! Today, it’s the bike kids want for its awesome design, fun colors, and smooth ride. It is small enough for an average 7-year-old, but adaptable to fit most kids in their early teens, making it an ideal choice for children expecting a growth spurt. Riding the DCP 16 is a great opportunity for kids to feel the independence they crave as they enter their teens and leave their childhood behind.
This bike defines ability – letting Conlan be independent and giving him pride! It is inclusion at its best. For the first time ever, at the age of 7 years old, he rode a bike with his sister. He also got to hang out with the neighborhood children his age, and for once the view of the child in the wheelchair vanished and they were all so focused on Conlan’s awesome new bike!
We just got the bike an hour ago and Andy already tried it. He LOVED it!! We actually have a small incline on the street so he was able to do it himself. It was the most amazing moment when he looked over and realized he was the one biking. He was so happy!! We can’t thank you enough!!
When Josh was introduced to the Freedom Concepts trike at physical therapy, it was evident that he loved it. We began applying for insurance coverage immediately. The process required effort on our part but we followed the directions recommended by Freedom Concepts. After pursuing coverage following a denial and an appeal we finally received approval! The wait was well worth it and Josh LOVES his new trike!!
DCP 16 Features
- Quick release mechanisms on all adjustable parts
- Adjustable crank and sprocket system to accommodate spastic legs or different leg lengths
- Direct drive gearing with easy pedal power to encourage reciprocal patterning of the legs
- 16″ Never-Go-Flat tires with aluminum rims
- Customizable front brake and parking/transfer brake on the right side
- Independently adjustable handlebars with telescopic posts
- Self-centering spring to promote better hand-eye coordination
- Incredibly supportive seating system with multiple options to add additional harnesses or head supports
- T-Bar which can be used as a brake mount or caregiver handle – option to add Rear Steering so the rider can learn to ride and stop with a little help
- Mountain footplates – option to add multiple types of footplates to help with heel flexion or plantar flexion
- Standard bike essentials such as: safety flag, wheel reflectors, animal squeaky horn, multi-tool and bell
Above all, our adaptive bikes provide a quality of life and lifestyle to those with limited mobility options. Every product is designed to provide normalcy and a sense of freedom. Each bike is built to the person and their special needs, taking leg length, trunk support, and type of disability into consideration. Listed below are several of the benefits that Freedom Concepts adaptive bikes can provide:
- Improved range of motion
- Proper hip-to-foot positioning
- Development of balance and self-support
- Improved motor planning
- Increased blood circulation
- Fitting process ensures natural hip positioning
- Strengthening of anti-gravity muscles
- Stabilized bike with parking brake for transferring
- Quick Release locks help swing bike components out of the way for transferring
- Improvements in overall mobility
Accessories & Customizations